Why Does My Cat Sleep On My Head?
Why does my cat sleep on my head? Often cats will do this when they are tired, or they have just taken a nap.
There is nothing very pleasant about it at all, unless you have a cat that snores really loud!
Cats that snore get more sleep because they can keep their heads propped up on your shoulder, or you can prop them up by holding the back of their neck.
They will be much less likely to fall asleep when you do this.
The reason why my cat sleeps on my head is simply because it wants to relieve itself or it is wanting to run away from the other cats in the household, but you do not allow it to get away.
This is the main reason why cats do this – they want to escape!
Also, it is just the way that cats roll over and the best place for them to roll over is under your arm.
There are different reasons why your cat would want to roll over on you, but they usually all have to do with trying to get away.
- When they roll over, they fall asleep, but if you try to pick them up you might wake them up by accident, so they start to roll over again.
- This sounds like a cute little cat trick, but if you don’t understand cats you might be concerned that your cat is using your arm as a place to roll over.
- If you are bothered by this behavior, then it’s time to take action, or you could be the cause of the problem.
- Cat Snoring Kits are designed to help with getting rid of any problems that your cat may be having to sleep on your head.
- They are normally quite expensive, but if you purchase the kit at a local pet store or vet’s office, it will generally be cheaper than a good night’s sleep for your cat.
There are a number of other reasons why cats will sleep on your head, such as when the cat’s parents did not teach the kittens to roll over well enough, or if the kitten’s parents went out of town and they had no one to turn to for help.
- Sometimes this is simply how cats roll, but if you feel that it is an uncomfortable situation for your cat, or the problem is severe, then you should take action and make sure that the cats sleep is on your shoulder.
- Cats love to be warm and this is another reason why they can roll over to relieve themselves.
- They also like to stay close to you, and even if they cannot roll over on you, they can lay near you to keep warm and comfortable, while they relax in your arms.
How to Find a Warm Spot For Your Cat
It is inevitable that cats will occasionally snuggle up to you and give you a cozy feel.
And this happens to be the way cats start considering their warmest spot.
Cats are social animals and it makes sense that they may tend to favor one particular spot over others.
Now for a specific warmest spot, owners have to decide what to call it. Often you will find a spot in the cat’s house which is warm enough for them to sleep in.
Some of them might prefer the floor or the carpet. But this is not always the case.
For instance, your cat may prefer to lie on top of the sofa cushions but most owners find this is not an ideal place to sleep and that is why they settle for this spot.
In cases like this, they will have to try to get a better idea of what place they should sleep at night.
They can actually make use of a heater while they are trying to figure out what to do to get a good night’s sleep for their cats.
But the answer will be that there are several locations where they can place the heaters and these are just some of the more common places.
While this is a convenient way to warm up the area, it is also important to note that this is just a temporary solution.
There are other ways to get the heat that will keep your cats in the warm.
- If the specific warmest spot for your cat is not where you can place the heater, there are some other alternatives that may help you make your decision.
- If you do not mind spending some time looking for a good place to put the heater, then look for a place that is large enough to comfortably accommodate your cat and where it will not become a problem.
- An option that may help you out is to try to buy a heater in a set because this will cut down on the amount of money that you will have to spend.
Another option is to purchase a cat’s bed which is specially designed to allow your cat to rest comfortably. These beds usually consist of a special layer of insulation which traps heat which can be transferred to the cats’ bodies and which helps them stay warm. The warmth that you get from these types of beds can make them the best place for your cat to sleep when it has no other option.
- Choose the color of the bed which you want to put near the rest of your furniture if you prefer to have your cat in the room during the daytime.
- It is important that you choose one which can be easily cleaned up and if it is too big to move around easily then look for a smaller type of bed which can fit in the corner of the room.
This will allow you to change it according to the type of your mood.
Getting to a comfortable comfort zone for your cats is not as hard as you may think. You just have to be aware of the things that need to be considered and use the available options which are available.
How Long Does a Cat Survive Without Food?
The average cat’s body temperature is 102 degrees Fahrenheit. This is enough to cause death, although not death from the cold as many people think. Rather, it is death from shock.
The reason for this is that a cat’s body temperature is not like a human’s body temperature. When the average human body is at 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, it can survive being in a room of at least 68 degrees for about four minutes. It can even survive a day with its core body temperature at that level for four days if the temperature stays at this level. It can survive in a room of temperatures greater than these for up to seven days.
However, a cat’s body temperature is nowhere near the same level as a human’s, so even with an additional half-degree drop in temperature, it would be well within the time for survival for a cat to survive a week.
So, in addition to being in an area where temperatures are high, the answer to the question “How long does a cat survive without food?”
In reality, survival is usually not guaranteed because there is a food shortage for many cats.
However, some do survive. The three common reasons are dehydration, hypothermia and shock.
Dehydration is caused by over-exposure to water or other cool liquids; hypothermia occurs because the cat’s body temperature falls too low for proper metabolism of the body’s heat production; and shock occurs because the cat is experiencing a chemical imbalance that causes the metabolism to speed up instead of slowing down as normal.
Usually, the first sign of a cat’s body temperature dropping is a loss of appetite.
- It’s not uncommon for the appetite to return after a few hours, but it will return only if the cat has water available and is resting comfortably.
- If the temperature drops more than half-way to body temperature, the cat will begin to tremble and begin to shake uncontrollably, which is a sign of shock.
- In addition to dehydration, hypothermia can occur when a cat experiences a food shortage.
It can take up to nine months for a cat to lose as much as one third of its body weight from hypothermia, so if a cat is losing significant amounts of weight it needs to be fed quickly and frequently.
Feline hyperthermia occurs when the cat’s body temperature becomes too high, and it can make a cat very lethargic and ill-tempered.
- If the cat has been allowed to get extremely cold, and it’s become so hungry that it can eat on its own, then there is the chance that the cat may recover. However, it may be a matter of hours before it can eat again.
- If a cat has lost a significant amount of weight, or if it seems to be getting worse, it should be given a bath and some water to drink to encourage it to drink more water. Since feline hyperthermia can be the first warning sign that a cat is starting to starve, early warning signs should be taken seriously.
Discover If Your Cat Likes Your Scent Before You Get Her to Like It
What I’m about to reveal may be a huge shock to you but I have come to realize that you will have to determine whether or not your cat likes your scent before you can start training her to love it.
- This is because a lot of cats will get annoyed and irritated when you shower them with water as they will then think that you are saying “don’t bathe me” which would only make your cat sad and agitated.
- When you shower your cat, always start by cleaning its face (where most of the scent glands are located) to get her accustomed to the idea of being bathed by you.
- You can do this by putting some wet cotton balls in a baggy and using this to rub the area around her nose and ears to get her accustomed to getting wet.
- As your cat gets used to getting wet, you can get her used to the idea of getting wet by applying warm water to her face.
- Once she gets used to having her face exposed to you, it is now time to begin her introduction to the smell of your shampoo.
- Get her close enough to you where you can get her to sniff you.
- Also, let her sniff the shampoo bottle that has a scent on it but then gently place the bottle close to your nose and let her sniff you to gauge her reaction.
- Once she gets used to sniffing you, gradually work towards a scent you want her to be more familiar with.
- Some people prefer to use their scent soaps but this might not be the best way for everyone.
- As a matter of fact, the best way is to use a small packet of cat smell soaps that have some scent left over which could indicate to your cat that you are grooming her.
- Once you’ve gotten your cat to be comfortable around you and are very comfortable with her grooming habits, you can begin using scent and scented soaps or perfumes to provide your cat with some added comfort and security.
- The use of fragrances is very beneficial to have your cat as it will help keep her calm and relaxed at night because of the way she reacts when she smells your scent.
Cats Are Also Territorial And Dominant Animals That Wanted To Mark Their People With Their Urine
Cat owners are in for a surprise, there are some cats that are also territorial and dominant animals that want to mark their people with their urine.
Some of the cats are not shy in marking their people.
The mark is the most obvious marking method by any animal that makes use of the marking capabilities of its urine.
Sometimes the marking is accidental but most of the time, it is deliberately done by the owner.
Some cats can get quite bold in marking the people they are familiar with and make their peeing pattern very well visible in the environment.
When the cat urine is dropped into the toilet bowl and disappears quickly, it is more than just a simple urine.
It is the marking of the owner of the cat that is mostly to blame.
A lot of the times when the owner is out, he will not come back after a while. So the cat knows the owner has gone out and marked him and so, he will mark the person that goes into the house when he returns.
Cats usually start marking others when they feel threatened or confused.
They are also territorial and dominant animals that want to mark their people with their urine.
They will do this until the marking is effective in a manner to make the person feel threatened and insecure.
One way of dealing with marking is by making sure the litter box is always clean.
It is good practice to clean the litter box before the cat uses it so the marking is lessened.
Cleaning the litter box twice a day and once a week is a good idea to be followed by cat owners.
Once the litter box is clean, it is more than easy to train the cat to urinate where ever the owner has marked him.
If it is a male cat that marks the female cat, it will spray the female cat and will mark her back.
This is more than likely because of the emotional bond between the two. It is the responsibility of the owner to always be around so he does not get into a relationship that could result in a fatal attack.
What Are Nocturnal Patterns in Cats?
You must also consider when you are going to feed your cats Nocturnal Patterns.
Nocturnal patterns include regular hours and sleeping times, and that will also be in accordance with the climate they live in.
There is also a phase of them that you might want to consider if you have problems with cat behavior problems such as aggression, or sometimes, this might even affect their personality.
This is really up to you as to whether or not you are looking for those two behaviors as well as, which one you are looking for.
Cats will have nighttime and daytime behavior patterns, so you need to make sure that you understand these before you start altering their diet.
Nocturnal patterns might be related to how much you feed them.
If you get it to the point where the cat is starting to get frustrated with your cat, or perhaps they are starting to act out of character, then you might want to look into what you are feeding them.
- Cats may get aggressive when their nutrition is altered, and they will also not do well if you change the amount of food they eat.
- You also need to make sure that you do not abuse them because the more you can show them love, the better off they will be.
- When you are changing your cat’s Nocturnal Patterns, it can be a little confusing as to which one you are looking for.
You can find that a lot of the information on the internet is either incorrect or just not necessarily applicable to your situation.
You can read books that can tell you what to do, but the most important thing is to make sure that you change both behaviors.
You can also talk to a professional who can help you understand the Nocturnal Patterns better.
How to Change Your Cat’s Behavior – What Cats Do Not Have the Daily Sleep-Wake Cycle
It is well known that many cats do not have the daily sleep-wake cycle of a dog.
That is why they cannot wake up when you call them, it is not logical to a dog.
When you see your cat sleeping during the day, take them out for a walk. Show them how to wake up when you do and their trust in you will grow.
It is common for us to allow our dogs to sleep through the day, but there is no reason for our felines to not have the daily sleep-wake cycle.
You can train your cat to be more independent.
You can start by teaching them that waking up during the day is a bad thing and they need to sleep instead.
Once they know that it is OK for them to get up and go out the door, then you can teach them other things such as going to the bathroom outside instead of peeing in the litter box, using the bathroom while your trying to get them to use the bathroom, walking on a leash or just sleeping in the bed.
- Cats are wild animals and like to chase things.
- You can make this training fun by buying some toys and hiding them all around the house.
- While your cat is eating from them, you can give him something to chase around the house with.
- When he wakes up he will be so excited and would feel happy because he was able to catch that toy.
Show him how to enjoy life.
You and your cat will love it when your cats know what is good for them.
Cats In The Wild Need To Hunt As Many Small Feathered Creatures As Possible
If you own a cat, then you know that they get their food from grass, berries, and the occasional insect.
So why do cats need to hunt as many as 20 small prey each day? Well, it’s not just about eating. Cats who live in the wild often hunt as a form of purification.
Cats in the wild are a lot like wolves, except they have different types of diet, food sources, and exercise.
A big part of that is that they don’t live in packs, which causes them to hunt in different areas to find food.
A lot of the time, they will eat their prey out of sight. By hunting in the wild, they will find the biggest and baddest prey of all, and that’s usually the easiest to catch and kill.
This also helps to provide them with the vitamins and minerals they need.
- When a cat sees a big prey, they will chase after it until they can catch it.
- Cats will stand on their hind legs and run down their prey like an animal, only using less energy than that of a human being.
- The main reason for cats in the wild to hunt is to provide them with a healthy way to stay fit.
- When they catch a big prey, the female will nurse it back to health so that it will be able to breed again.
- It’s sort of like if you went out to the woods and hunted like a cat, and when you got tired of going, you would give birth to one of your own. I think that would be pretty cool, right? : )
Cats Are Nonetheless Flexible and Adaptable
Cats are nevertheless naturally flexible and adaptable creatures that have evolved as hunters and scavengers.
They also have a kind of mind-set and individual character that is quite unique in the animal kingdom.
- Their personalities and sociability are fascinating.
- Most of the cats in your home can learn a trick or two or more and they will run around to entertain themselves with these particular skills.
- Apart from their ability to walk, they are known to climb ladders and can do tricks.
- They are very playful and the effect that this has on the animals you will buy them from the pet store will be amazing.
- This is not so much on any other pet in the pet kingdom.
- Cats are moreover known to be loners that require companionship and affection in order to remain content.
- Your new cat can become your best friend if you make it one by providing it with proper care and attention.
- If the relationship between the cat and the owner or the person buying the cat from the pet store is laid out, the outcome will be positive for both of them.
- Any kitty can be spayed, vaccinated and neutered in the animal shelter as it is a relatively healthy breed. The day-to-day care is generally the responsibility of the owner.
- A cat is worth keeping just like any other animal.
The only difference is that cats are nevertheless flexible and adaptable. You could raise them in a manner that they will be happy and healthy and at the same time, provide the well-being of your family.
Even though it is true that all cats are alike, some may not have such talents as they can possess in certain aspects.
You just have to spend some time learning about them and being sure that what you learn is what you want to stay with your new pet.