The Petmate Portion Right Programmable Food Dispenser is programmable to up to three meals per day and is perfect for the average house cat that simply just needs to be fed.
This feeder is programmable up to three meals each day at explicit times you can choose. It can hold up to 5 pounds of food and dispenses in ¼ cup portions to a maximum of 2 cups per meal. You can choose to get rid of a meal or two per day depending on what your feeding preference is for your pet.
It has a simple design with dimensions of 14” in length x 9” in width x 15” in height. This makes it relatively small and compact. It weighs about 4.4 pounds which makes it easy to carry around on trips out away from home if needed. The bowl is removable which makes cleaning it easy, and the lid operates under a twist-lock mechanism which keeps the food both fresh and secure. It uses 3 D sized batteries which are not included in the package.
Pros and Cons of Petmate Portion Right :
- It is extremely easy to assemble this unit.
- It is able to storage a large amount of food at once and the lock mechanism ensures the food stays fresh and secure.
- You can choose to eliminate a feeding period if needed
- Relatively quiet
- It is budget friendly and space efficient.
- If the pellet size is too small the portion accuracy can be thrown off
- If the food levels are low then dispensing becomes unreliable.
- Your pets can take extra food from the nozzle by shoving their paws inside it.
- If you have baby cats then this feeder might facilitate them over eating as the minimum it dispenses is ¼ cup per meal. In this case feeding your cat up to 3 times per day might not be advisable.
Verdict and Rating
Though this feeder might not work for every pet situation, it is a good combination of both simplicity and ingenuity. It is a grand indoor cat feeder and very economically friendly. Though the newer designs only use batteries, they operate no differently than the older ones. We would not recommend it for very large cats and we give advice that you use a different feeder if your cat tends to have somewhat aggressive activities.